Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cycling Season is Fast Approaching!


The sun is coming out and there’s a cool breeze in the air. That can only mean one thing – cycling season is on its way! As we gear up for the Rona MS Bike Tours 2010, enjoy reading this story about a first time ride to get in the spirit of cycling.

First's
So I haven't always liked biking, well to be honest I had never thought of biking for pleasure. Until about 15 years ago. So there I was 15 years ago in the middle of my mid-life crisis, divorce, kids, mortgage blah blah blah and somewhere a bell went off (could have been a handlebar bell). “Hey, I should get a bike. A real bike. My first adult bike purchase.” So, off I go to the local bike shop in Grand Bend to buy myself an entry level Peugeot.

It was early spring, I remember. I had made a trip to All Season Sports and bought a pair of bike shorts, a helmet and some biking gloves. I was now set for my first great biking adventure. Up early on Saturday morning for my first ever bike ride for fitness. There were so many things I did not realize had to take place before my grand adventure. After spending 10 minutes trying to maneuver myself into spandex (which was a first I would like to forget) adjusting the seat height of my new bike, and making sure the tires had enough air in them, I was almost ready to go.

Not even on my bike yet and I am already to the point of exhaustion and frustration. I had planned on biking around town that day, just a leisurely ride to get used to being back on a bike. Well, my driveway is about 100 feet and that was my first ride. Yep, you read that right. I made it to the end of my driveway, and back. That was it. In fact it took longer to get my bike shorts on than the entire ride took. Distance of ride one: 200 feet. What have I done?! I am not a biker. That was evident with the gasp and wheeze of every breath I took and the shaky legs. Well if I am to be honest, I had a body that was in complete spasms wondering what the heck I had just done to it. It was rebelling and trying to make sure I never did this to us again. Well that was the start of it, and little by little I crept further and further from the house until I could measure my distance in miles rather than yards. That was the start of what eventually became a love of cycling – the freedom, the quiet, being alone in the sun and eventually cycling in the RONA MS Bike Tour. I would not trade in the bruises, the stitches, and the fabulous friends I have met over the last 15 years – all thanks to cycling and getting past the end of my driveway.
(Originally posted by k8)

Whether you will be riding for your very first time or have been cycling for years, now is the time to get in gear! Click here for details and to register for the RONA MS Bike Tours 2010. It will be a memorable, fun-filled experience and YOU will be making a difference in the movement to end MS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...