Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Life is a Learning Curve


We checked in with Mike Augustine, long-time ambassador for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada and a friendly face at many MS Society events.

As the RONA MS Bike Tour 2010 gets underway, and the 2011 MS WALK is beginning its initial planning stages, I am reminded of the parallels between these events, and the journey everyone must make while living with multiple sclerosis.

Like everything else, it is about planning for the future, while understanding that the road ahead is never predictable. It is about sometimes getting tired, sometimes getting lost, and sometimes even falling, but never losing sight of the fact that those times are only just a small part of the whole journey.

I’ve not posted an update for some time, primarily because my MS is getting worse. As I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis, that means that whatever I lose, I lose for good. I now find myself at the beginning of a new phase in my life.

I had planned to climb to Mt. Everest Base Camp this October to raise much needed funds to help those like me who live with this disease. I eventually came to realize that I needed to focus on making myself better before I could do the same for others. Therefore, my trip has been postponed until next October. Am I daunted? Oh, yes. But as I said, this is just another step on the path towards becoming the person I want to be - whom I’m truly meant to be... I just need to keep my focus and let my feet take care of themselves.

If I take it one step at a time, there’s no telling how far I’ll go, or what I will accomplish when I reach my destination. Even by myself, I can still achieve truly amazing things, but together, you and I can accomplish miracles.

Together - we can finally end MS!

Mike Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...