Thursday, September 20, 2012

Rider Profile: Doug Fortin, Love at First Cycle




Diagnosed with multiple sclerosis 11 years ago, Doug Fortin feels more comfortable on a bike than on two feet.
“Take me to the mall, and I’ll be sitting on a bench in minutes,” Doug says. “But on a bike, I can go forever.” Before his diagnosis, Doug enjoyed a physically active career in manufacturing. As his disease progressed, he transitioned to office work within the same company. “It’s a hit when you see other people doing something you used to love,” Doug says. “The MS Bike Tour was something I could accomplish while raising awareness about a cause that’s important to me.”
An avid cyclist since he was a teenager, Doug discovered the MS Bike Tour seven years ago through a Gearing Up newsletter. Given the choice between a shorter ride and a longer one, Doug chooses the more challenging 55 km Toronto Tour around Etobicoke’s Centennial Park. While reminding himself that the tour isn’t a race, Doug finishes every ride knowing he has pushed himself and made a difference.  His fundraising focuses on building awareness through networking and word of mouth, which seems to have worked – the top participant has raised $20,000 since his first ride.
During the winter, Doug keeps up with training for the MS Bike Tour using parabolic rollers, which allows him to keep his balance on his bike indoors. For Doug, an active lifestyle is essential to keeping busy and maintaining a positive outlook. “To finish the Bike Tour can be very emotional for me,” Doug says. “I made it, I didn’t fall and my wife is waiting for me at the finish line. When it comes down to it, I do the MS Bike Tour because I still can.”
Why do you participate in the MS Bike Tour? Share your own story on Facebook or Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...