Friday, June 26, 2009

Profile of an MS Champion - part 2


Tell me about your experience with multiple sclerosis.

I was diagnosed with MS in July 2002. As the loss of feeling started in my left foot and worked its way up to numb and bind the left side of my body, I realized something was horribly wrong. I have relapsing-remitting MS and have been fairly fortunate over the years. This unpredictable disease has decided to leave my left side alone and hang out with my right foot and leg.

I have adapted my life style to accommodate this disease but it has not ruled over me and my family. Actually, thanks to MS I have taken on a healthier lifestyle even though I am still learning how to pay closer attention to fatigue. It is a sneaky little side effect that can be quite debilitating. I consider myself very lucky, I have family, friends and an employer who have learned and understand the unpredictable nature of this disease. They do not identify me through MS but they do understand and will accommodate when needed. To them I am wife, mom, daughter and friend. Not Kate with MS.

I am excited to think of the future day when no one else will be diagnosed with MS. And I truly believe that I will see that day in my lifetime.


What are you most excited about for the upcoming tour?

First off, I can’t wait for Lori Anne (Lori Anne McNulty, Senior Manager, Fundraising Events) to lose the cow-boy hat because we will be the biggest ride in Canada!!!! Think of it…more cyclists…more donors…more research dollars. It all adds up to end MS!

The tour is absolutely the best weekend of the summer. All these people come together and participate in the greatest team I have ever been a part of. The team consists of crazy riders and crazy volunteers where every rest stop is filled with fun, laughter and food! Mmmmm….really good food!


What does being an MS Champion mean to you?

Being an MS Champion means that I can adapt to what has been forced on me! As others have said and I will copy them …I have MS but it does not have me!

MS is a cruel and unpredictable disease that alters so many lives in so many different ways. I am overwhelmed and humbled at the number of people that ride and raise money to end MS.

As an MS Champion, I also get to say “thank you”. I am able to use Disease Modifying Therapies and have access to a wonderful MS Clinic. And it all comes from research dollars raised by previous and current riders.

I hope that I can put a face to the disease and help others who are living everyday with MS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...