Thursday, June 25, 2009

Profile of an MS Champion - part 1



2009 in Ontario marks the launch of the MS Champions program. This is an opportunity for participants who live with MS to voluntarily identify themselves to show the different faces of MS: this is Kate’s story.


How long have you participated for?

I have volunteered for two years and this will be my third year cycling, making this my five year anniversary with the Grand Bend to London Tour.


Why did you first get involved?

My husband and friends decided to do more for MS and started training for the Grand Bend to London ride. I was at a stage where I thought I couldn’t ride, so I volunteered. I was one of those people who got up at 6 am to help out at the registration tables. I then worked my way to UWO and helped at one of the tables handing out ribbons and stars. It was overwhelming to hear the stories of the cyclists. I met some cyclists who have MS and I started to think…’if they can do it, why can’t I?’

I started eating better, took off those pounds that had easily accumulated over the years and then started training for the ride. The RONA MS Bike Tour turned me around. So now I have become a MS cyclist and I will ride as long as I can. I am expecting that old age will turn me into a volunteer again and not this disease.

What does it mean to you to know that so many people participate in events like the RONA MS Bike Tour to raise funds to help end MS?

It is so clear to me that this horrible disease touches so many people. Friends, family and loved ones ride in the RONA MS Bike Tour to say enough is enough…this disease has to end. It is overwhelming to see the number of people who participate in the ride. This tells us all that the number of people affected by MS is equally overwhelming.

The research dollars are so important to help End MS and every rider and volunteer shares this common goal. The RONA MS Bike Tour means that we will all be part of changing the future of MS.


Be sure to check back for part 2 of Kate's story to learn about her experience with MS and what she's most excited about the upcoming tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...